Prayer requests:

Prayer Requests: *Our family *Students, staff & Monks of Belmont Abbey *Deacon Jimmy *Our engaged/recently married friends/family: Steve & Bonnie, Ryan & Mary Liz, Tom & Therese, Brad & Caroline, Michael & Sarah, William & Laura *FOCUS missionaries *Pope Benedict XVI *Lauren C. *Christopher E. *Our "adopted" daughter in Rwanda: Josephine *All expecting mothers

9.24.2008

The Gift of Good Manners

WOW!  It's hard to believe that we're almost 6 months along... it really seems like only weeks ago that we found out that our little one would be arriving around Christmas.  Christmas seems so far off when you think about it in April, but now that the shelves are already stocked with Halloween candy, Christmas is just around the corner!  The babies room has been painted and we're slowly gathering (or at least making lists) of the items necessary for raising a baby.  It's truly exciting!


Tom recently surprised me and ordered a book I've been wanting: The Gift of Good Manners.  As I look back at my own life, I often think about all the things my parents raised me to do (or not do), but often times don't remember them even saying anything about.  Surely most kids don't just know to not put their elbows on the table, to sit up straight, to share with others and to say "please," "thank you," and "yes sir."  I did not even give much thought to manners until several years ago when I was given the opportunity to have breakfast at the White House.  I did not feel nervous or scared, rather I felt confident that I knew what was appropriate and was able to enjoy a wonderful meal (with grits, I might add).  As we prepare for parenthood we are excited about this new life, but we also take this responsibility very serious.  It's amazing that God is entrusting a pure, innocent being to our care.  WHAT AN HONOR!  


So, as I began reading this book last night I realize that even teaching manners begins almost immediately.  "[Manners} enable men and women to face whatever the future may bring with strength, courage, and integrity." (Gift of Good Manners)  We are thankful to our own parents for the manners they taught us as kids.  It is true that they have made us stronger and more courageous in many situations.  It is sad to see a generation today who does not, thanks to cell phones and Internet, have very good manners (or at least does not exercise them).  How many times have I been in a conversation with someone and they pick up their cell phone to answer it or text someone.  Did no one ever tell them that their behavior is disrespectful?  YIKES!  


So while no parent is perfect, and no book can tell you how to raise a child, I am excited about the arrival of this book and look forward to sharing more thoughts later.  (And please share your thoughts with us too!)  For now, it is back laundry and dishes (I have to take advantage of this time before our little one makes his/her grand arrival).  May God bless each of you!

TickerTicker.aspx.png

No comments: