Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! We are so grateful for so many things...
1) Life! 2) Caitrin 3) Family 4) Friends and community (friends from FSU, the Garrison & Mosley families, our FOCUS team, anyone reading this, etc.) 5) Our loyal and dedicated donors (our mission is impossible without you) 6) Our Holy Father, our priests and all seminarians (especially for Fr. Al and Fr. Noel, whom we work with) 7) Freedom (especially freedom of worship) 8) Mercy and love
As the holy day of Christmas approaches and all the retail stores are decorated in red and green, we can't help but think about what Christmas is like in other parts of the world. I (Brittany) recently read the book "Left to Tell," a story about the Rwandan genocide that took place in the mid-90's. (One of our former students at the Abbey was actually blessed to be able to visit Rwanda this summer, so I felt inspired to read the book.) Aside from an incredible story of faith and prayer, it also reminds me of how fortunate we are. It also makes me recall the lyrics from a song by Brooke Fraser: "Now that I have seen, I am responsible. Faith without deeds is dead." (The song is called "Albertine" and was written after Brooke took a trip to Rwanda.) Indeed, I am responsible for my brothers and sisters in Christ... even those who live half-way around the world. Those whom I will never meet. Those who are so different from me.
Now that I have "seen" (or at least read), I am responsible. So as Christmas approaches, it is our goal to mediate on the true meaning of the holiday and not over-commercialize it. I pray that we will all be inspired to act in faith and make great deeds of charity this Christmas season. Of course there are so many great organizations and so many ways to give, but we have really enjoyed sponsoring a little girl in Rwanda through Compassion International. Our humble and small gift just might have some small impact on her life, her country and our world. What a joy it is to give!
Please keep our family in your prayers this season and please pray for the upcoming FOCUS conference in Orlando over New Years. We look forward to telling you all about the conference and the impact it had on our students. The students are very excited and very open, so please pray for an overflowing of grace upon them.
Thanks again for your support. May you be blessed!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment